Treatment For Migraine Auras?

ajw4790

I'm with you on that one! My understanding is that it's more about prevention than treatment for auras and other neuro symptoms. Esp for me, as my auras look stroke-like, I'm not supposed to use triptans. I now have a rx for low-dose klonopin that helps with one of my non-pain symptoms--intense vertigo. It helps stop the spinning, sense that things are moving, and nausea. All I need is .125mgs.

but the other symptoms are miserable and I'm hunting for a preventive I can tolerate.

So, for a preventative, is it a preventitive primarily for the neuro symptoms and aura, or for the migraine (pain etc.) as well?

I have found auras etc. greatly affecting my education and potential career, so I am desperately trying to find some assistance. Have you had any luck with any homeopathic routes? Like I just started taking magnesium supplements (no clue if there will be any difference). I know you have a dr. in Chicago, do they have locations or affiliations elsewhere?

Thanks!

Good luck!

Hello,

I also get migraines with aura. I find this very debilitating as well.

I decided to post this but I truly have no idea if there is a connection or not....I started taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D daily about 6-8 months ago because my family dr. said that all of his patients are vitamin d deficient (and this was the recommended dosage). I've noticed a huge decrease in the number of migraines that I now get with the aura (I still get a migraine every once in while but recently haven't been getting the aura). Again, I have no idea if this is connected but thought I'd share since you asked about alternatives to medicines.

I take Axert for my migraines when they do come and I seem to have the fewest side effects from this drug.

Hope you find something that helps!

Lisa

I'm taking magnesium, coq-10 , and b-2 in addition to keppra, plavix, and then acute stuff. Frankly, I haven't noticed that the supplements help. My migraine doc thought I might as well continue them, but in my case, I'm unimpressed.

i think the preventives are supposed to stop the aura and the pain. right now, not much luck with either!

interesting about the vitamin d. i currently take 800. so, it's safe to take that much?

My migraine doc is at the diamond headache clinic. they are only in chicago, but they have patients who fly in. they will work with people by phone between appointments and are better at communicating than most other docs' offices I've experienced. i think if you look at the national headache foundation, you may find someone more local. i wish we had a magic bullet. i have a feeling my road to relief is not going to be short.

right now we're trying to rule out whether there is a seizure component to what we'd been calling my auras. i think id do get auras, but there's something else going on too.

Guest GayleP
Hi all!

Is there any treatment out there that works on migraine auras like spots, bouncing vision, difficulty focusing, glow etc...... Sometimes these can be about all the symptoms I get with a migraine, but they can still greatly affect my functioning.

Thanks!

Taking a baby aspirin every day can help prevent some migraines, including migraine with aura. In fact, I now have it down to where I only need to take one aspirin every two days. I know it works because I stopped getting migraines with aura when I stared taking the aspirin and the migraines returned when I had to stop taking aspirin for a few weeks last fall.

Just make sure you check with your doc to see if he's OK with you taking a baby aspirin every day.

To answer your question, there is preventative treatment for all - migraine with aura, migraine without aura and aura without migraine. The treatment has to be individualized and chosen by the doctors who 1) knows the medications well 2) knows you and your case well. This type of doctor is usually a neurologist with an interest in headaches.