Can Pots cause Gastric/bowel problems?

BabieDollHLC

Hey everyone!

I was just woundering if POTS could cause gastric and bowel problems.

One of the times I fainted I woke up and started throwing up blood. I was rushed to the er, they wern't sure what it was from so that told me I had a gastric problem..and that most likely Pots caused it, because of the nervous system.

That finally stoped..but now I'm having bowel problems.. I havent had a regualar blowel movement for about 3 months with stomach pain. It takes everything right out of me. It leaves me feeling real week the next morning. Do any of you have this problem? And would know if Pots can cause this also. If so should I tell my pots doctor or regular doctor?

POTS can absolutely cause bowel problems. The autonomic nervous system controls every part of our involuntary system in our bodies, stomach motility and digestion being one of them. I too suffer from IBS. It alternates between diarrhea and constipation with severe lower abdomen pain. I experience pain in the upper GI also and frequently deal with bloating problems. There are meds to help with IBS, but mine vary from day to day it would be hard to control the symptoms.

I am going to see a colorectal surgeon on Monday due to bowel problems and I would be very interested to know if this could be related to POTS. This may be TMI (sorry), but after some bowel movements especially during my ovulation/period phase of my cycle, I can get very severe bowel pain. It is absolutely incapacitating. Is this a symptom of irritable bowel??? Also, after I have a bowel movement, I will sometimes get cramping for a while afterward that is pretty darn painful.

I know personally if I eat and my bp is running especially low and I am on my feet, I can get diarrhea immediately, and sometimes it will go away if I lay down. So I know that is probably def POTS related.

Elaine

Hello--the previous posts are completely accurate: GI symptoms can be a result of autonomic dysfunction. Keep in mind, your gut works on stretch receptors to let it know it's "full" or it's "empty"...just like your veins and arteries work on stretch receptors to adjust the pressure, flow rate, etc.

Some of us experience severe GI symptoms, including gastroparesis (JacobyD can speak to that one). I have very slow motility...and have a 20 year history of severe GI pain. My docs used to think it was endometriosis--but after an exploratory surgery, it was determined that it was not the case. I think it's just my system spasming, the same way my veins and arteries do. In fact, when I had an arterial line, the artery spasmed for most of the day. My veins do the same thing.

You may find it helpful to download the ndrf's handbook on dysautonomia, which is a free PDF download. There is a clear description of the GI implications.

http://www.ndrf.org/NDRFHandbook.htm

Nina :D

I just wanted to add that I too have had a lot of bowel problems since I was about 10 years old, mostly consisting of bowel urgency and intermittent diarrhea. I get these "attacks" that come on very suddenly and I'll start shaking and feel really nauseated, then go to the bathroom a few times over a 2-3 hour period of time, and then it will leave as quickly as it came. I had food allergy testing about 3 years ago, which confirmed allergies to milk, eggs, and wheat- and I also notice that too much sugar causes problems too. If I eat too many foods I shouldn't then this is what happens. It's no fun, but I've found that sticking to a strict diet really helps reduce the frequency of these "attacks". It's all part of having POTS, and I was very comofrted by the fact that I am not alone with these problems, and that they are derived from having POTS.

• 12 years later...

I have EDS and some sort of dyauto (still figuring it out). I know I can't have MSG at least. Its so embarrassing to get those horrible diarrhea attacks before you get out of a restaurant! Even if they didnt use MSG. Have wondered if its oils they use? Soy maybe? It happens at home too. Last time I was trying to rest on floor during it as I get so faint from extreme pain, and I bonked my head, before I got down.Nice gooseegg! I thought my bowel was going to rupture! I've also vomited from extreme spasms during those times. Very sore for a few days after. Mainly I have constipation so these attacks are something else! (sorry to be graphic) I (internally) laugh when friends complain about getting ready for colonoscopies. Welcome to my (normal) world, I think.