Doxycycoline - Possible Help With Neurodegenerative Diseases

issie

Interesting article on doxycycoline helping suppress P25 which could cause atrophy of hypocampus and neuro dysfunction, affects genetics and inflammation with increased cytokines. Granted, it's a mouse study ---but, what if this would help us humans too. Interestingly, I'm taking a small/low dose of doxy for my protozoa problem. For sure my brain function has improved and so has my POTS. Maybe, this is the reason.
Here's some really interesting articles that I ran across showing that even if there is a genetic defect and doxy is given - it could potentially help with the genetic dysfuction and prevent neurological dysfunction. (Epigenetics ---maybe????)
Issie

I started on Cipro because of many of my drug allergies. I had some improvement but it was limited. I hadn't tried doxy since childhood since it had produced severe GI issues for me. But, the Lyme doc did want to trial it and see if we could control the GI symptoms if they cropped up. I actually did ok as far as the GI symptoms were concerned. So, the cocktail was doxy daily (I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 times a day), plus a rifampin at bedtime Monday - Friday, and Azithromycin in the morning only on Saturday and Sunday. I know it sounds like craziness (maybe not to you since you are now into the realm of treating Lyme with "unconventional" methods) but the doc said between the babesia and the Lyme that being on a cocktail that would catch different stages of the spirochetes at different times is often helpful for chronic patients. All I know is...I felt quite a bit better.

Do I think I it would help? I don't know. I suspect yes. I believe it couldn't possibly be worse for me than the handful of pills that I am currently taking every morning and night, especially given the types of medsI'm taking. But, I can't prove the chronic Lyme nor can I afford any of the Lyme literate docs locally as none of them here take insurance. I can't blame them as they spend a lot of time per patient and their methods aren't necessarily covered anyway. But, if someone offered me a round of antibiotics, I'd be right on it.

How is your treatment going?

It doesn't sound at all crazy - because of my having researched it and knowing that's what you have to do to treat it. I do a lot of alternative things and am only on the doxy as an RX (for the protozoa and co-infections) - the other things are alternative. I'm doing really well. Making improvements daily. I'm about to start on another antibiotic like alternative so will probably be thrown into a herx. But, I know that the long term results will be good. I'm loving my diet and noticing some wonderful improvements because of it. I really think I'm on the right path and making these improvements in my life was the right direction to go.

Let us know if you get to try the doxy again. I'm thinking it may help a bunch of people for different reasons ---autoimmune and inflammation - mainly.

Issie

Very interesting-- I was recently taking doxy and flagyl at the same time for sibo... Made me so sick I ended up in the ER, I ended up extremely faint, having to lay on the floor shaking and dry heaving, "dehydrated" it turned out but every day I took them I got worse :( was sad I couldn't finish the cycle. Not sure what it means.

Very interesting-- I was recently taking doxy and flagyl at the same time for sibo... Made me so sick I ended up in the ER, I ended up extremely faint, having to lay on the floor shaking and dry heaving, "dehydrated" it turned out but every day I took them I got worse :( was sad I couldn't finish the cycle. Not sure what it means.

My guess is you were going through a die off reaction. It's called a herx. It will make you really sick before you get better. Some of us can only use a low dose - like a few a week to avoid such a violent reaction. We are super sensitive to meds and even more affected when we detox and have die off. We have to take things a lot slower.

Issie

Issie- I'm really glad you're on the right track.

Westernmass- Sorry you had such a rough time. I have a really hard time on Flagyl. As issie said, it could have been a herxhimer reaction also which are miserable but unavoidable in Lyme treatment. I struggled through my first 2 herd reactions but they eased up after the second one. I knew they were happening but they weren't as severe. Hope you find something that works for you.

• 1 month later...