Dizzy From Blowing Nose

dizzygirl

hey folks.. i was wondering if any of you get dizzy from blowing your nose???... Ive had this odd feeling in my nose for several days now.. kind of like a burning.. and like when a basketball or something smacks you in the nose...Ive also had a bad headach for nearly a week... today i was blowing my nose and i got really dizzy and the above feeling inmy nose got worse and made me feel like i couldnt breath...

I thought it was a weird fluke thing.. but after that every time i blew my nose the same thing happened! how strange...

anybody????

It sounds like you might have a sinus infection - I get them all the time and they can make you feel really lousy!

The dizziness you feel on blowing your nose is because you are trying to force air out through blocked nostrils. It is the same as doing the valsalva manoeuvre where a doctor gets you to breath out hard against a closed glottis or hold your nose and blow hard (like what you have to do to make your ears pop in an airplane).

This manoeuvre stimulates the vagal nerve in your neck and can cause the heart rate to slow down making you feel dizzy.

There are simple self-help things you can do to help releave nasal congestion like breathing steam and using menthol or eucalyptus oils and taking paracetamol and ibuprofen (usually decongestants in POTS patients are a bad idea). If you are running a fever or things don't get better fairly quickly then you should probably give your PCP a call and get yourself checked.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Flop