Pots Diet

Guest dionna

Guest dionna

i have posted before about a new diet i am trying to help with the symptoms of POTS--- i have lost about 10lbs. i weight only 88lbs now. if anyone knows anything i would be able to eat and make me gain please help me. i guess i am just going to have to feel crudy for a while and put some more weight on. i eat all the time (which raises my metabolism) but i am starting to look like i am like i have an eating disorder. i have a 22 inch waist now! i am afraid of losing anymore weight. thank you for any replies at all.

dionna :)

ps the diet is helping my symptoms a lot (more than anything yet) but just not my weight.

Have you tried ensure? When I first got sick I lost a ton of weight and started drinking ensures to keep from getting too skinny. two-three a day on top of what you're already eating should help put some weight on...but you should really talk to your doctor about your low weight.

Let us know how you do

-Lauren

Guest dionna

what do i eat?

i try to stay away from sugar because that will mess my stomach up- which would make me lose more weight. i eat mostly meats. i love meat. but fried foods also mess with me so i try to just eat baked, grilled, broiled, or boiled meats. i eat a lot of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and ham too. i found a receipe for german pancakes that is very filling and the receipe calls for 6 eggs so i eat that. i drink as much whole milk as i possibly can. cereals, veggies- mostly raw, tuna, fish in general but lots of tuna straight out of the can, crackers, chips, doritos, pretzels, soups, sandwhiches- quick and easy, popcorn, fruits- i love fruit, nuts, and other stuff like that. everything i eat i try to find things that are high in salt and high in calories.

i am thinking that i am just raising my metabolism too much by how frequently i eat. when i tell people that i have a problem with fainting they also assume it because i don't eat enough. my gyn thought i wasn't eating at all- i thought she was going to go buy me some food to eat.

my parents are thin too. my mom was pregnant 5 times, she wears my clothes size 1 or 3. my dad is just about 6' and i think he might weight 160. my older brother is 6' and he weights maybe 120. he is skin and bones. so it is genetics too. please can anyone help? thank you.

Hi Dionna,

Have you had your thyroid checked? You sound like you have an overactive thyroid. You aren't experiencing nausea or stomach pain after eating are you?

Julie

what do i eat?

i try to stay away from sugar because that will mess my stomach up- which would make me lose more weight. i eat mostly meats. i love meat. but fried foods also mess with me so i try to just eat baked, grilled, broiled, or boiled meats. i eat a lot of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and ham too. i found a receipe for german pancakes that is very filling and the receipe calls for 6 eggs so i eat that. i drink as much whole milk as i possibly can. cereals, veggies- mostly raw, tuna, fish in general but lots of tuna straight out of the can, crackers, chips, doritos, pretzels, soups, sandwhiches- quick and easy, popcorn, fruits- i love fruit, nuts, and other stuff like that. everything i eat i try to find things that are high in salt and high in calories.

i am thinking that i am just raising my metabolism too much by how frequently i eat. when i tell people that i have a problem with fainting they also assume it because i don't eat enough. my gyn thought i wasn't eating at all- i thought she was going to go buy me some food to eat.

my parents are thin too. my mom was pregnant 5 times, she wears my clothes size 1 or 3. my dad is just about 6' and i think he might weight 160. my older brother is 6' and he weights maybe 120. he is skin and bones. so it is genetics too. please can anyone help? thank you.

hi dionna,

have you been checked for gastroparesis? i know that having this makes it very difficult to eat and properly absorb nutrients because the stomach is paralyzed and has a hard time promoting intestinal reabsorption by pumping the food to where that occurs most (in the small/large intestine)......

as for what to eat, i have been trying to add instant carnation breakfast in between meals..... there is about 330 cals total if added with whole milk (2 cups)....i think there are more cal's in ensure but from my own experience, i found ensure rather discusting (didnt like the taste)....

i also have a hard time keeping weight on or gaining weight. i weigh 120 and am 5'8'. according to BMI, i should be at 140 for my height/age.......anyway, it is hard enough trying to keep my weight not from dropping out lower than 120. i have been at 110 before and felt pretty sickly........and of course everyone around me thought i had an eating disorder. ugh! so frustrating!

i'd try either ensure or instant carnation to help with the weight gain.

take care and hang in there.

Hi Dionna,

I have the same problem, at first I started eating less frequently, eat more complex carbohydrates( meat does not make you fat) with every meal, eat dates, avocados, MOst important relax after and before eating lie down to help the parasympathetic system override the sympatheticand allow the intestines to absorb and digest better, eat more rye bread,. Stop eating milk too much Ca it also promotes weight loss9 I was eating akilo of wholesome milk before, it helped me when I stopped).

I lost a ton of weight when my Celiac Disease was at its most active. It sounds like your diet is a little too "atkins" and you need to change that a bit. Personally I think the whole milk should help you; I put on tons of weight drinking that stuff, but everyone is different. Baked goods should help, like muffins and breads and cakes. The question is why you are continuing to drop weight, and if you're having any concerning symptoms such as diarrhea, etc. If so you need to get that checked out. Good luck gaining! :huh:

What about some frozen dinners? Not the lean cuisine kind, but the regular stuff. My husband eats a lot of those and I noticed that they can be high calorie and high salt, even in the smaller portion sized ones. Plus, they are easy to make. I'm all about the simple, microwave life. :) I wouldn't eat them all the time because I don't know that they are that healthy, but I would think it might help you gain some weight. I have the opposite problem from you because I gain weight by just looking at food. :( I know that either way, it's not a fun place to be. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

It sounds like you are far from limiting calories, so I would question if it is the diet that is making you lose this weight, even though you have cut carbs pretty severely it appears. Have you been evaluated by a physician (besides your ob-gyn)? (I can relate b/c, prior to my one pregnancy, I was very thin. No matter what volume or type of foods I ate, I would not gain weight, even if I wanted to. When I first developed POTS symptoms I went down as low at 118 lbs on my 5'11" frame. My entire family is also very thin or on the thin side--so anyway-- I agree with you that genetics could be at play as well.) But, it sounds like you might need further medical evaluation--thyroid, etc. I have read that being very thin aggravates POTS symptoms b/c it is even harder to retain adequate blood volume--you might find you feel a bit better if you can gain some weight, POTS-wise.

Good luck,

Katherine

One of my doctors suggested the low-carb form of Carnation Instant Breakfast, which has lots of vitamins/minerals and a lot less sugar than the regular formula. I don't know just how much sugar it still has, though.

There comes a point when it's more dangerous for you to be losing weight than it is to be eating a certain diet to not aggravate symptoms. I know that it's hard to have to choose, but being under 90 pounds is very underweight, and can put you at risk for more serious problems than POTS, like arrythmia and fractures. I would talk to your doctor about this.

I can sympathize with wanting to gain weight and not be able to; this was my story for the first two years of having POTS. Then my metabolism completely slowed down and I didn't have to work so hard.

Amy

Are there as many people out there who are having a weight gain? I first lost weight and then gained it all back plus about 20 pounds more!! I know the activity level is poor, but somedays I hardly eat--

I would be happy to share the wt. with those who need it-- if we could only do that--- ;)

• 4 years later...

what do i eat?

How tall are you? Even with a slim family you would need to be quite petite for 88 lbs to be healthy and like you said, if ppl think you're not eating then you are probably underweight. The foods you are eating sound good, a decent amount of high calorie foods but also nutritious foods too. My only suggestion (since someone already suggested a supplement) is to actually measure and track for a few days how many calories you take in. You may feel like you eat enough because you eat so frequently but the portions might be much less than you realize. It would be almost unheard of for someone, even who eats frequently, to increase metabolism so much it causes harm so I wouldn't decrease your intake unless your dr advises it. Good Luck!