When You Lie On Your Back....

Hi all,

For as long as I can remember I have not been able to lie on my back. I get very dizzy and feel just plain awfull. I never really put it together untill now, but I tried doing workouts lying down in hopes that I would be able to............umm no, big misstake.

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this? I find it very wierd myself. I can lay on my back if I'm at an angle, but if I'm flat..forget it.

Thanks,

Amber

Guest dionna

my back will hurt really bad sometimes but the only way i am dizzy is if i was already dizzy before i laid down. i have fainted just a few times laying. hmmm... i do wish i had some advice or words of wisdom but i am all out. take care of yourself okay. i will be thinking about you and your daughter.

dionna :rolleyes:

The only other time I've heard of what you are describing is from someone who had gone to the "dizzy" clinic at Hopkins (I'm from Baltimore) and they had to retrain them because they had some malady with their inner ear.

Other than that, I can't help you. Sorry about your problems.

I also cannot lie flat or I get dizzy. I can lie down if I am at an angle as well, or on my side, but I never thought very much about it being my inner ear. It would make sense being that, I have lots of inner ear problems. When I do wake up from lying flat, I can pretty much be sure an ear infection is coming, but I never put it together with my getting dizzy laying down.

goodness Amber! i wish i had something to add that would be some great advice or something, but i just wanted to say hang in there :P and i hope you are feeling better soon! :D:D ((hugs))

when you say "lying down at an angle" do you mean with your head raised? have you been able to do stuff (activities like exercise or just reading or whatever) in this position?

i certainly hope you are able to get some answers....there's a lot of folks on the forum with good ideas and advice. feel better quick!!

love and light,

lulu

Is it when you are lying down, or when at first lying down?

I feel better lying down, but when I first lay down I feel the most horrible of all and think I am going to die and the only thing I can think is that I am so glad I am now going to die. But, then about 6 minutes later it all washes away and I feel better. The change of position is super-brutal for me. Something happens. When I have been at my ultimate sickest, I cannot stay sitting or laying for more than 20 seconds each at a time. We've found that my BP hovers near zip at these times.

Have you taken your Blood Pressure when lying? I wonder if it is too high, too low?

I also have trouble laying flat on my back. At an angle, no problem. I sometimes get dizzy, sometimes I get that weird sensation that my body is puffing up, but all the time I have a feeling of pressure in my neck (on the left side). It's a feeling like my neck and throat are being squeezed. I'm very aware of my heart beat in my throat, too. I can't swallow when I lay flat either, so then I end up choking on my own saliva, which is nice.....NOT!!!

I just don't lay that way at all. (I've had shoulder surgery, in April, and I can't seem to heal from it, so I can't lay flat and I can't lay on my right side either!!!! ARGH!!!)

I've often wondered what it's all about myself. It's a bummer that there doesn't seem to be some magic answer, you know??

Bec

Hi and thanks ;)

I get dizzy if my head is flat and I'm on my back, but I'm ok if I have a pillow under my head. It's all the time, doesn't go away after any length. As far as I can remember I have not been able to lay on my back since I got all the other symptoms(POTS). I don't have any problems with infections in my ears or anything. (I wonder if this has anything to do with getting migraines?)

Oh, and my daughter is doing well. I think she was just feeling ill when I was worried about her. I will keep my eyes open of course and keep watch on any symptoms.

Amber :D