16,000 white blood count with abdominal pain

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

I have a question---how bad is a 16,000 white blood count? Bev from Dr. Grubb's office called today to see how I was feeling---then told me my white blood count was pretty high. She asked if I still had abdominal pain---I said it wasn't as bad as before---but it was till there.

I told her about the light colored stools---and she said I should get into to see my doctor today or if they can't get me in then I should go to the ER.

I had gone to see her for my hyper adrengic symptoms---and felt very potsy----we decided to run some blood work too.

The thought of going to the ER----uggggggggg

I asked her if it could just pass on it's own---she said no.

I didn't feel well last Thursday---but went shopping anyway. Then I ate some soup with corn in it. I have diverticuli in my small intestine. That night I thought I was trying to pass a tennis ball through my small intestine---the pain was so intense I woke my husband to take me to ER. Then I thought about the ER---we waited---and it passed. I hevent been the same since.

Since then I have had some abdominal discomfort. Thursday it was on the right middle---fraiday and saturday---don't remember anything severe---just a lot of bloat---then the pain shifted to the left which was very bad sunday night razor shart pains on the left. Now the pain is sort of in the middle----and a lot of bowel sounds.

That's all I know for now. I'll have to wait for the ER until late tonight of tomorrow morning as my husband has a very important H & R block class he CAN'T miss---only 3 hours.

My son will come and sit with me.

Julie :0)

Normal white counts are between 5000-11000, up to 12000, depending on the labs values.

Mine consistantly runs at 16,000 and my doc said it wasn't high enough for him to be concerned. So I guess it's relative. I think mine runs a little high because I have a chronically inflamed gall bladder my doctors are terrified to deal with (think poor Emily scenario)

I mean if you never run that high, maybe something bacterial is going on, however typically bacterial stuff doesn't get better, I mean if it was your gut, I would expect your sx to be worsening. But since I have no idea, I recommend you do what the nurse says.

High white cell counts are indicative of bacterial infection and low white counts are indicative of viral infections, but some of us seem to be out of the norm, just "not enough" out. Which brings me back to why do they bother having parameters if they are going to choose to ignore them???????????? morgan

Julie

I forgot about your diverticulitis!! Ouch that is a problem to keep well by itself with diet, at times. Good luck and I hope you can see a doc as opposed to the dreaded ER!

Morgan,

Good point about why do they ignore the parameters???

Or as some of us find out, the labs are off so we run them again in a couple of weeks and they are 'more normal'. Well, WHY WERE THEY OFF BEFORE?

At least my endocrinologists knows things CAN INDEED fluctuate all over the place. For instance all hormones, thyroid--can be intermittently spurting but you dont always "catch it" in the act.

Or cortisol levels are low normal, normal, or high normal, depending on how long I had to wait in the room before having blood drawn at hospital. The longer I was forced to sit and become symptomatic, the higher the cortisol.

Also my palms have subtle tan lines (big tip of Addisons or low adrenal output or other glands) though tests are always close to very normal. Still, he thinks the adrenals can malfunction as well but I have no back or flank pain or numbers high enough to call for scan of adrenals/kidneys.

This doc also goes by "clinical symptoms" w/o relying 100% on the 'lab tests' because what's normal for the labs isn't always normal for our bodies. So that's helpful to have a doctor that believes this way because I understand it is very odd to have a doctor so open minded. He is due to retire in a few years and I will have to do another letter writing campaign to find somebody close to his care and knowledge....

I agree with Emily. I hate a doctor to tell me what the normal values are and then they ignore the abnormal ones. 3 years ago I was struggling with the worst joint, bone, muscle pain of my life and my sedrate was high, around 27. My rheumatologist told me that was what he expected for a person my age 37 years old. So I just had another sedrate 2 months ago and it was like 3. Hmmmm so much for his intrepretation.

AND, In my opinion each doctor is going to have their own intrepretation. Some are going to see a white count of 16 and know that there is an infection going on somewhere. There are very few doctor's that are going to say that is normal.

But if you're feeling better maybe it's subsiding or just brewing to hit you harder, better to be safe then sorry.

Take care Julia

steph

The parameter thing is a pet peeve of mine. If they don't want to deal, they either ignore it, or just keep testing until it's normal enough, argh....

Also I agree with Sophia, things do flucuate, it's the nature of our bodies, even normal bodies, let alone sick ones.

Steph, I have NEVER heard that one about sed rates before, that guy needs a medal for dorkiness!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: morgan

Guest Julia59

Bev just called me again. She said she talked with Dr. Grubb and the both think I should be seen in ER tonight. I'm calling Rush Presbyterian to see what IV antibiotics were used in case they need IV antibiotics.

I know I tolerated those OK----so that will help a little. Otherwise ---I have no idea what's up. I just have abdominal discomfort now--not as bad as the pain I had. There definately is a lot of bowel sounds going on.

Bev said one of their POTS patients had worsening of symptoms with a bowel/abdominal infection that got pretty bad. I won't know until they run more tests.

Julie :0)

julie, julie, julie -

sorry to hear you may have to head to the ER but hoping it will be a good thing in the long haul. knowing dr. grubb well for over 8 years and bev to a degree i'd definitely heed their advice. they're not people who tend to freak out or overreact & i'm guessing that they've seen previous bloodwork of yours as well. the one time dr. grubb sent me directly to the ER i ended up in CCU for 4-5 days and was quite a mess....and that was when i was 500 miles away in maryland.

as much as i KNOW you hate ERs - i am right there with you - i hope that there's maybe something that has been causing things to be worse for you lately that has a "quick fix." obviously infections aren't something to mess with and can be serious but if it is found & dealt with you may get some relief soon which would be great. and with our crazy autonomic systems extra symptoms in that arena can often be the first sign (at least for me); i know when i had viral meningitis my NCS had been very well controlled and i had no clue why i passed out after crew practice one morning less than 48 hours i was at the hospital with the meningitis diagnosis so obviously my body was sending warning signs.

i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. let us know how things go.

:blink: melissa

Edited by Sunfish

Oh my Julie..

i really hope that you feel better! SOON!!

let us know how you are doing once you are up to it k??

love and hugs

Linda

Goodness. 16,000 WBC count sure sounds like an infection. Which CAN be a good thing because at least there are meds for those! Sending positive vibes your way in hopes of a good ER experience- (hey, its the season of miracles!). Please let us know what you find out.

Carmen

Julie, I hope you are at the ER getting some treatment. Feel better soon!

Julie,

I really hope they find out what's going on and that youre better soon. Thanks for letting us know that you are going to the ER.

Lisa