What helps?

I am trying to figure out what has helped people.  I drink lots of water. I exercise as tolerated. Last week I started drinking 1 powerade a day to see if that will help, my migraines were so bad.

The migraines have been horrible when it's below 60 and rainy. 

Any suggestions?  

On days I feel particularly badly I find that drinking coconut water helps me.  It's expensive so I don't drink it every day.  But I find it more effective than water or Gatorade type drinks.  Adding more salt to my food helps as well.

I also try to keep moving as much as possible.  Lying down too much tends to only make things worse, for me, as poorly as I may feel upright at times.

You may want to search for "migraines" on the site, or post a specific question separately about migraines.

Welcome to the forum!

It is nice that you can drink Gatorade. I think the artificial flavors trigger my migraines. I am going to try again because the sports drinks do make my body feel better. With weather changes I find just staying hydrated can help my migraines a bit.

Whole milk is an excellent electrolyte drink.  I can't manage Gatorade most days.  It's not just sickeningly sweet, it has a bit of bitter taste too.  Yuck.

Sleep is a big deal for me, as is waking up calmly and quietly without an alarm (or loud children, in my case).  I take magnesium and melatonin at night. 

Staying active however possible is important for me.  Maybe I can't walk, but I can crawl to get around the house.  I can do exercise on the floor.  Horizontal exercise was very beneficial for me - I use a recumbent elliptical machine and seated stepper.

Another thing that helps me is a mindset that symptoms are uncomfortable, but not dangerous.  Before diagnosis I'd have symptoms and be "done" for the rest of the day.  Now, if I'm not having presyncope, I just keep going.  If I have presyncope I lie down, but only until my heart rate returns to normal and then off I go again.  This mindset and activity pattern have been huge to keep fatigue and nausea at bay.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, angelloz said:

It is nice that you can drink Gatorade. I think the artificial flavors trigger my migraines. I am going to try again because the sports drinks do make my body feel better. With weather changes I find just staying hydrated can help my migraines a bit.

I may have to watch that I didn't think about the artificial flavors.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Should find something else 

On 5/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, MomtoGiuliana said:

On days I feel particularly badly I find that drinking coconut water helps me.  It's expensive so I don't drink it every day.  But I find it more effective than water or Gatorade type drinks.  Adding more salt to my food helps as well.

I also try to keep moving as much as possible.  Lying down too much tends to only make things worse, for me, as poorly as I may feel upright at times.

You may want to search for "migraines" on the site, or post a specific question separately about migraines.

Welcome to the forum!

I may try the coconut water, not a big fan but probably better for me than Gatorade. Yes I am the same if i lay down to much u just feel even more yucky.

You can also make your own Gatorade at home. 4 cups filtered water, 2 lemons juiced and 1 lime juiced, 1 large teaspoon on salt (celtic or himalyian salt better), 1 Tablespoon on honey (raw or organic not from bees given sugar if possible). Blend and drink...store in container and good for up to one week or more.