Pots because I am skinny?

Saw a doctor at uc Davis about ttc. She normally doesn't do anything about failure to conceive until actively trying 1 year,  but when I pressed about my stomach pain she agreed to schedule an ultrasound for 3 months but expects it to be normal and suggested I probably have ibs. I mentioned the tachycardia because my hr was 150 walking to the office and 113 as my BP was taken, she said it's probably my body's way of compensating for being so skinny. Does this statement have any merit? I'm 5'9.5 at 120 (usually fluctuate between 117-130 so I'm at a low point at the moment) I always figured I am skinny because my heart is working so hard, just got a fitbit and it says I'm generally in "fat burning zone" but she insists it is the other way around. Could this be true?

It does seem that young women with our body type (I am nearly 5'11" and in my 20's was around 120 lbs--now in my 40s I am 140) are more prone to POTS but not sure it is clear why.  POTS has actually been referred to at the "model's disease" for that reason, although I have not heard that for years.  I think I've heard we dehydrate a little more easily but hard to believe that would be the only explanation.

Anyway, it is not normal for anyone to have a change in hr from sitting to standing of 30 bpm or more, regardless of body type.  It does sound like she is dismissing your symptoms and may not be familiar with POTS.

Guest KiminOrlando

Ha ha ha ha.... I was told I had POTS because I was fat! I needed to lose 20lbs. Not kidding. Was told to get on a treadmill. I was also told IBS.

Then.... I found doctors who would listen to me. I did not have IBS, I had gastroparesis. Nobody thought to check because it is supposed to make you skinny and I wasn't skinny. So, you may have gastroparesis. It is common with dysautonomia, but not automatic. A symptom of that is pernicious anemia  (low b12 in your blood due to malabsorbtion). Again, if you don't have pernicious anemia it doesn't mean you don't have gastroparesis. 

Just something to think about. I hope you are able to find some answers.

Good luck!

Kim 

I appreciate everyone's response, thank you. She did mention that she thinks my stomach pain is probably from gastritis or colitis because I frequently have diarrhea, and said that it can feel like a sharp knife stabbing pain depending on where it hits in the intestines, I just find it hard to believe that pain would always be hitting my ovaries. And quite often. She wants me to document the stomach pain and diarrhea to see if they correlate. She is convinced because my periods are regular that I am fine? But I've read nowhere that you must have irregular periods to have pcos. My periods are light and last 7 days. I have ridiculous acne on my jaw and chin. However, my brother was just diagnosed with gastritis through an endoscopy. I wish just once that someone would take my pain seriously, even if it were just my own mother. The doctor was shocked when I said my BP rises on standing and said my BP cuff is probably inaccurate. I guess I'm glad I pressed about the ultrasound, and she's going to help with not labeling as "infertile" anywhere so that I don't get shunned by insurance. The gastroparesis is definitely a possibility but I am quite sure there is more going on. Now to sit back and wait until July for my echo and ultrasound. I guess I'll have to look into the gastroparesis next. I eat a healthy diet, always home cooked no junk at all besides Tortilla chips and sometimes Ritz crackers, I'd like to go vegan but I have such a hard time eating enough as it is. I appreciate you all!!