Did u get offered a mri?

Hello new here . I have had a cheast xray in hostpital and ecgs and bloods.i had standing test i have pots i get all lovely pots symtoms but one that i dont get help with is the serve bone pain and tingling in my legs aems and my head under my ribs my feet they hurt all time i have asked for a mri i have been refused everytime am only 27 they think am making it up am sure .i am housebound i cant walk far i on no medacation at all just water an salt.....

I've had two different mri's since my POTS issues got worse. The first was on the brain to see if there were any abnormalities that could explain my head pains, and the second was on my neck because I would get visual symptoms that only occurred when my neck was tilted in specific directions. Both ended up turning out normal, though I still believe there is something wrong there that they just won't be able to see or find.

I've had several brain MRIs to look for both MRI and to watch the pineal brain cyst I have. I would find a doctor who listens, my general care doctor basically orders me whatever testing I ask for because she knows I do the research and I usually bring her information as well. 

An MRI is pretty expensive test - mine required special insurance approval - so a dr probably wouldn't order it unless there was a specific concern based upon your symptoms.   Is there a particular condition that you are worried about that an MRI could diagnose?

Hi POTS1990. I know you are beyond ready for some solutions to your pain. All I can tell you is to hang in there.

It is my understanding that MRIs aren't typically used for a POTS diagnosis as nothing would show up. If you get on POTS meds and still have issues, they may do other testing, but it still may not include an MRI. They could do nerve conduction testing on your arm for the tingling, or it could be Reynaud's Phenomenon. My Reynaud's diagnosis was made by the doctor just looking at me. They are more likely to do blood tests looking for autoimmune diseases and inflammation markers to explain the pain before they do an MRI. For me, they did a lot of ruling out of things that were cheaper and more common before they went for an MRI of my brain. They only did that because they found something in my bloodwork to suggest that they needed to look at my brain. On what part of your body are you wanting them to do an MRI? It sounds like your pain is all over which could mean that you end up with a fibromyalgia diagnosis if your bloodwork comes back clean.

You mentioned that you are on no meds for this, just salt and water. Is that by choice or have they decided you don't need any? My first doctor didn't give me any either, just told me to drink more and get on a treadmill even though I actually lost consciousness in his office.

I understand your frustration. I lived it for 20 years before I got diagnosed - by the guy who told me to get on a treadmill. The difference for you is that you have this community to support you and help you navigate. It still won't be easy, but you aren't alone. 

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Thank u for all your kind replys .i didnt expect onesorry about late reply easter holidays kind of broke me ha .i have asked for a scan cause i suspected i have relapising and remitting ms . :wacko:i been told i have pots and me/cfs though it all started getting worse after my second child in 2012 i had a spinal injection i sure this has caused a leak .hope u all ...well as well as can be ?i do see a doctor she not been much help on it all yet .

Aahhh, suspecting MS changes everything. They suspected MS with me too and, yes, they did an MRI looking for brain lesions because it was safer than doing a spinal tap. I am told those are the best ways to rule out MS. The MRI doesn't totally rule it out because the MS has to be advanced enough to cause brain lesions. Your doctor may think if you have MS, it is early stage and nothing would show.

Of course, his diagnostic choices could also be limited by your insurance. 

Hope this helps.

Kim 

• 3 weeks later...