How often do you pass out?

DriftingDolce

I've had POTS for about 2 1/2 years and I pass out a LOT. I've been tracking my symptoms for the last couple years, and on average I faint around 13 times per week. I've had two Tilt Table Tests and in both cases, my heart rate went way up and I fainted, but my blood pressure stayed about the same. My doctors are all confused about how I can be passing out without a drop in blood pressure. I thought that high HR/stable BP was pretty typical for POTS though?

So I'm wondering... how frequently do you pass out? What's within the realm of "normal" for POTS? Am I that unusual?

I don't think anything with POTS is normal haha, but I've never passed out, but I also don't get low blood pressure, I have hyper pots so it's kind of the opposite. I do get vertigo randomly though, more often lately too where I just suddenly feel like everything is spinning beneath me. 

13 times a week seems like a lot though, have they put you on any meds or any type of symptom management plan? And have you seen a doctor that specializes in POTS? A lot of doctors know kind of just the surface of the pathophysiology but don't know much about specifics and thus can only be so helpful.

Before I was put on meds, I could pass out several times in a day. I learned to quickly stop what I was doing and rest flat on my back or I would regret it. It takes me way longer to recover from a full blown faint than to recover from feeling like I am going to faint. I'm so good at knowing how far to push things that I rarely fully faint anymore, but I have the luxury of not having to be on anybody else's schedule- just my body's, so that helps TREMENDOUSLY. If I had to get ready for work and meet deadlines, I would have to push things and end up on the floor unconscious again.

I think you can maintain a decent appearing BP and still faint. I'm not sure if that is the one they call 'low flow' POTS or not. I think it can also have to do with the blood flow/O2 to the brain (they may be one in the same). 

If your cardiologist is out of ideas, you may need to look for an experienced neurologist. I think they are the ones that diagnose blood flow issues to the brain and technically, it could still be other things triggering your episodes. 

Hope you find some answers.

Kim

According to my Drs I fall way out of "normal" for POTS and NCS. That said, I used to pass out 20+ times a day pre pacemaker, not the answer for everyone, but very helpful for me. I have/had trouble with low bp as well as wildly fluctuations in bp and hr. Recently have found that if I push my body way beyond it's limits I will still pass out but I did go for 7 months without passing out once. (Post major Surgery I passed out 1-2 times a day for about a week.)

Obviously my situation is a bit different then yours I've had unconscious bp readings as low as 45/20. Something useful I have learned is that while exact numbers are good to know the drop can sometimes affect you more. For example a drop from 150/100 to 110/60 could cause more symptoms than bp staying at 80/60.  How quickly my bp and hr were caging also were factors. They could literally get a great bp on me and the next minute I'd be unconscious with crazy low bp. I am much more stable now, the pacemaker leveling off my hr seems to have secondarily leveled off a good bit of my bp fluctuations, at other times it compensates by raising my hr.

There are other things that can cause a person to loose consciousness, obviously that would be something to discuss with your dr. Anything that affects the flow of blood/oxygen to the brain could be a factor. Over stimulation of the vagus nerve may also be something to look into.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never passed out which fascinated the doctors-my BP was 54/42 and I was miserable and begging to lay down, I was still awake. I have time to get to my recliner when symptoms start coming on

Debbie

I have POTS with low BP and have never passed out.  I think people with POTS can have variable BP - some run high, some run low and others are all over the place.  Fainting is more common in NCS than POTS -- it is possible to have both conditions.  It does seem strange that you'd pass out while your BP is normal.  Maybe ask the next time you see your doctor?