Dyeing experiment

Lily

Being bored with beige hose and not liking the way Juzo fits me, I finally decided to try dyeing my oldest and most holey pair of hose.

I thought I'd post the results in case anyone else wants to try.

My favorite and best fitting style is Sigvaris Eversheer open toe thigh high 30-40 in Natural.  They are nylon wrapped around a spandex core.

I learned that nylon can be dyed with acid dyes.  Spandex can't, but in this case that doesn't matter.  One could buy jars of dye from the internet, or just go for Kool-aid dyeing.  Kool-aid contains enough citric acid to fix the dye.  Food coloring and vinegar will also work.

I wanted a raspberry-is burgundy, bUT the only Kool-aid colors availabe in the grocery store were Cherry and Grape.  I decided to settle for purple hose.

After adding 2 packets of grape to 1.5 quarts of water I dipped in a paper towel.  I thought the purple wasn't dark enough, so I added red and blue food color according to package directions for purple.  

Interestingly, the hose turned out just the shade of raspberry that I wanted!

The first photo is of a dyed and an undyed leg of the Eversheer, both being wet.  The second photo is of the dry hose on me.  Note that there is no spandex visible, and so far no color bleeding out onto my pants or my legs.  

I am very happy with the color.  Now I want to figure out how to get a dusky teal.  

ETA:  The files will not attach.  Please try these links instead:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OKpSjSbFIJMW91b3YzbHQ0YTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0OKpSjSbFIJcFNra0VNZ2k3aTg