Reactions to everything!

katcanny

Hi to all!

i am still new to all of this and I am finding at the moment that I am having reactions and intolerances to a lot of things I never had a problem with.. I have had my hair dyed and now have had a reaction which has required medicated lotion to reverse, I can't have lemonade anymore because I get heart palpitations, I have Vegemite and have heart burn! My life is yuck enough at the moment without having to add more on top. Could it be the medication I'm taking florinef? Has anyone got any advice on hair dyes or what to drink other than water or Powerade! All advice much appreciated!! 

Hi katcanny, I as well have found that my body reacts to eating or drinking certain things as well as an overall sensitivity to most medications. If I drink anything with too much potassium in it I get weird migraine like visual sensitivities, anything with caffeine makes me feel very bad, I'm much more prone to heartburn from eating acidic foods than when I was healthy, and medications such as antibiotics often make me feel really off while I'm on them. I'm not sure about the florinef side effects as I've never been on that medication, but it may be something to ask your doctor about. 

It's common for dysautonomia patients to be sensitive to a lot of things that were just fine before. Also, a decent number of dysautonomia patients also have MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome) as a comorbid condition.  

I have MCAS.  I have many true drug allergies but also have odd reactions to meds now that are not true "allergies" in the medical sense. Some meds I'm very sensitive to at even non-therapeutic levels while others have zero effect on me at all, good or bad. I also developed food sensitivities to many foods I've eaten all my life....rice, grapes, bananas, cilantro to name a few. Rice is like death for me. I also react to things like drastic changes in ambient temperature, for example,  going from 20° outside into a 70° heated house or office. I will flush and break out in hives and have adrenaline surges. 

If you want to know more about MCAS, here is a paper that is very comprehensive. The tables and figures contain a lot of very important information. 

http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/full/v3/i1/1.htm

Have your stylist mix sweet and low with your salon hair dye. I have shoulder length hair and use three packets. Test a spot at the base of your neck first and wait a week to see if you react just in case, but I don't react any more. Works like a charm for me. I don't think you can substitute anything else for sweet and low. Hair dye we can buy and do ourselves has too much of whatever burns me, so even though I used the sweet and low, it hurt very badly. I will never try that again!

I might feel bad, but darned if I'm going to look bad. It is a daily struggle. :P

Hope this helps.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned that dysautonomia creates a cycle of inflammation in the brain that directly impacts the gut. When there's constant inflammation the gut and brain become leaky allowing toxins and even our favorite foods to leak into the blood stream. When this happens our immune system kicks in to fight it but often triggers an autoimmune  reaction and ends up harming our own tissues. I would recommend working on healing a leaky gut. Do a google search on the best foods to eat and avoid. It may take 3-6 weeks to heal but for some a year may be necessary to avoid certain foods (e.g. Dairy). It's a pain but it works and I have seen much improvement in my dysautonomia symptoms too.