Has anyone used NORTHERA

BillC

I am working with a new team of neurologists in Indianapolis  They have prescribed the drug  NORTHERA. I would appreciate the help.

Thank you Bill C

My neurologist wants me to participate in a post market drug trial with northera but still working out with cardio wether it would be the best option for me since I would have to stop the midodrine which I've been on for years. The advantage, according to my neurologist, is that it keeps you more stable and doesn't cause the swings like the midodrine.

I know that it has some big side effects from what the doctors described to me but have the results worth taking it.also any side effects? 

also I know that getting the dosage is sometimes I challenge they said !

I know they just finished a new study with a larger group I have read that it hasn't been press released I saw it a medical magazine I get for  pharmacology  

i get migraines bad so I wondered do you get headaches from the drug or migraines ?

I saw a few post on this but I Didnt know if it was the first trial Or from the newest release !

I am the type person I want to talk to the person that is using the drug for the same condition.  

Or as this drug has been used for stroke victims as well and Parkinson's so their results may be different.

This where the site comes in handy to know it's not from a drug rep or a friend of one no offence to anyone meant !

Thanks everyone for helping I will be there for the next one to  ( Pass It On )

I don't get any more headaches than I had before taking the meds. The only thing that happened to me was that my stomach hurt about an hour after taking the med, but it did so much for me, I decided to put up with it. After about 6 months, that side effect went away. There was some speculation that it was effecting my digestive tract because of the gastroparesis (jump starting parastalsis), but nothing was verified. It was all just talk. 

The dosing is trial and error. No better way to say it. You have to get a good BP monitor and keep a log. They had me checking bp sitting, lying down, standing- several times a day. Once you take the first dose, you cannot lie down because your bp can get too high. 

I take it 3 times a day. They started me at 100 mg 3x for a couple of weeks. I had to send a spreadsheet of my bp readings to my doc for him to evaluate, then he upped me to 200 mg. Same thing with the spreadsheet. He then upped it to 300 and I took readings, but started to feel dizzy, so he backed me off to 200 and I have been on it for 6 months like that.

For me, this med was the right choice, but things can always change. 

What other things are you concerned about? 

There is always risk with a med. This is a new med, so there aren't any long term studies on how it will effect us. It comes down to balancing how it makes you feel vs future unknown risks.

It all comes down to quality of life for me.

As far as how it works pharmacologically, I don't really understand it. Have you been to their corporate website? They talk about droxydopa on there and most of it went over my head. Maybe I should have asked more questions. I don't know if it is a substitute for norepinephrine or what. If that is what you are looking in to, I would love to hear the explanation.

Good luck.

Kim