Heart Rate Sometimes Slows When Scared Suddenly????

Hey guys! Today I got scared suddenly because my cat knocked over an object in a different room and I noticed that my heart started to beat super slow and hard. I've noticed this happen a few other times when I'm scared suddenly too. However when I'm scared because I have to publicly speek or something like that it beats super fast because it took more time for the adrenalin to release and build up. Is it normal to have your heart beat slow and hard when suddenly scared? Does anyone else experience this? Could this be something related to POTS?

Yeah, I get that way, then my heart skyrockets back up, which comes with it's own set of problems. Loud noises, lights, being startled in General does it to me.

Hi, you may be having a vasovagal response, where the heart rate slows down temporarily in response to a stressor. This wikipedia article is very informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

I get this too...wierd how it differs..im in college and when I have to speak in front of others I swear my hr hits 200! Other times when im scared it will shoot up and then slow down dramatically...when this happens I can also hear it beating in my ears. Just wait for it to regulate again.

frogs, if ever you have serious concerns, please talk to your doctor okay?! We may have lots in common and sharing what we experience is great to feel less concerned (and less alone!) but in the end when things get really serious you need a doctor to find out what's going on and hopefully reassure you!

• 3 years later...

this happened to me yesterday , im a freshmen by the way, i was in my algebra class and i had my bluetooth speaker on my desk, we were tsking a test and i accidentally knocked it over and it hit the floor, my heart rate went very very slow like boom.....boom......boom , it sounded like one beat and it was loud and slow as well but i dint know why it happened