Gluten-Free Bread

SeattleRain

I normally don't eat any kind of bread but yesterday I spotted some "Gluten-Free" bread at the grocery store and thought I'd try it. It's nothing special taste-wise. Surprisingly, I don't have that "I just ate bread" feeling when I eat it - which is pretty cool.

Has anyone else tried it?

I wonder if gluten-free pasta will have the same effect...

Hi,

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you're looking for. I used to love eating bread and found it very satisfying but then I became a celiac and the fun stopped.

Pickins on tastey gf bread from a grocery store can be slim. Esp if you're trying the ones with the 20 year shelf life or the ones that have been kept in the freezer for who knows how long ... :P

I've only eaten a few GF prepared breads from the stores but I used to eat the Whole Foods brand Prairie bread and loved it. I had a slice of UDIs raisin bread the other day and that was good. I've heard that their other breads are good too.

I found much better breads and other gf foods at my celiac support group meetings where they made their own. There are a lot of good gf recipes on the web. www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org has a recipe section. I went to a Paleo / grain free diet because of blood glucose issues two years post gf diet.

tc ... d

haha ya'll are funny. no cardboard for me either. I've not tasted GF bread yet. This is my 4th or 5th try at GF because I'm not very strong willed, I plan on it this time though, I'll never know if it may help if I don't stick with it. I wanted to say that I tried quinoa pasta and the taste and texture were almost exactly like "regular" pasta. I recommend it highly. I did not like brown rice pasta or corn pasta, the corn pasta tasted really sweet and I didn't like it. Thanks Dizzy for the link to recipes :)

• 1 month later...

I don't know about gf bread, but I have tried Annie's brand gf white cheddar mac n' cheese, which was actually pretty good :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband found a gluten-free bakery that he is often nearby for work. They have the best gluten free bread yet, although I still prefer it toasted or grilled in a pan. You might try finding a bakery that does gluten free. Also I make a sort of sweet bread with Pamela's gluten-free baking mix.

• 9 months later...

How about rice snacks? and Rice cakes? Quaker oats rice cakes are really good. And they are gluten free. there are the big ones that you can even use to make sanwhiches with and its healthy!! the big ones are only 50 calories per cake!! there is a good site for recipes for gluten free and its food.com and just go to the gluten free section :)

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the store-brand GF breads I've tried, Udis beats all of them. It is the only one that "holds" together. The others fall apart. I also bake my own bread, which has a wonderful, homemade yeasty bread flavor, but I can't get it to rise high enough. I guess looks don't mean anything.

I have not felt at all like I am missing out by being GF. I take any recipe I want and convert it to GF. I make homemade pizza with my own homemade GF crusts, and my last one actually was better than any GF pizza I've tried, frozen(yuck!) or even at a GF cafe! Mine was at least 2x better than the busy GF cafe! I also make a lasagna with our rice grits in place of noodles, and it is just wonderful. And like the poster above, the quinoa noodles are really good if cooked and then incorporated in a dish. They soak up the dishes sauce and you almost can't tell the difference in taste or texture, as long as you let them sit in the dish for a little while.

When making bread, I have found over the last year:

1. I don't like the taste of amaranth flour as it seems bitter.

2. I don't like the taste or texture that bean flours give, and I also lessen the addition of the starches(tapioca flour, etc)

I am from Louisiana, so making a roux for a gumbo was the ultimate challenge. I have finally made one that is not too bad, but of course not as good as a regular wheat flour roux. It is, however, pretty good. Once again, mine was better than the local GF cafe.

My point is, with lots of practice, any dish can be made GF and taste yummy.

• 1 month later...

Okay, found some Rudis, and I also found some Udi's at Kroger here in town... I got a loaf of the cinnamon raisin bread in the Rudis brand, since normally for me, bread is a breakfast food, will try it tonight with some homemade honey cinnamon butter.

What brand of baking mix to you all prefer to use that is gluten free? I've seen some sandwich bread mix by Glutino (I love their lemon cookies), and a couple of bobs red mill to, but was curious if anyone thought of any other brand being good?

Guess I know what I'll be looking into soon! I love to bake, and right now, I just bake for everyone else because I pick and chose if its worth the pain and illness afterwards. Baking bread is something I do a couple times a month, it would be nice to bake some I could enjoy too, as well as my brownie recipes and such.