Nausea When Woken Up Too Early

sprintz

If I don't get at least 10ish hours of sleep during the night, when I wake up I have very intense nausea that makes me feel like I am constantly on the verge of vomiting. This has happened since I have developed dysautonomia.

What can I do besides sleep more to fix my stomach? There are days where I just cannot sleep that much.

Sprintz,

nausea is not on my POTS symptoms list but when I do have a problem with it I try ginger root tea, ginger candy, or an old trick from my granny - oregano tea (not the best taste, but works wonders for me). I've also heard people using those anti sea-sickness pressure point bracelets. You might want to look up pressure points for nausea on google and I'm sure there's plenty of info on that.

Also, have you tried any of the nausea meds on the market?

Best,

Alex

What I do is really take my time waking up. I slowly let my body adjust and use a wedge pillow to slowly make my self vertical. I also immediately eat a yogurt or digestive wafer when I wake up. It seems to settle my stomach.

Yeah... I get it too. Just awful nausea. I take zofran when it gets real bad. It's one drug that actually works for me, without too much in the side effect department. If I take some every day for several days I get headaches and constipation, but it's better than the nausea! Good luck with it! You are not alone.

yes me too :( like puppylove said I give myself lots of time to adjust to being vertical when I first wake up....drink some fluids slowly....take my meds....wait and wait.....and then I attempt moving around more. If it's really bad I will take some gravol or a dose of domperidone....

Sorry, can't help. My son's nausea is 24/7 and we have found nothing to help. It is the symptom that keeps him homebound. We have tried every over the counter med, wrist bands, and prescriptions. Dr Afrin just gave us another prescription to try, Emend. It is used for chemotherapy patients so we don't know if insurance is going to cover it, supposed to be real expensive.

Christy

I totally get the nausea issue. Usually, when I wake up, I will sip water, eat saltines, and take a couple tums. Actually, usually the very first thing I do is take my Prilosec. Worse comes to worse though, I sleep with a bucket beside my bed, so it's there if I need it.

Here's another question for you: is it related to the amount of sleep (going to bed at 10pm and getting up at 8am) or the actual TIME when you get up (going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 6am)

I am always nauseated when I get up before my body clock's "wake-up" time regardless of how much sleep I get. I simply cannot put any food in my stomach before 9-10 AM. If that is your case, it is likely a circadian timing thing.