Has Anyone Tried Eucommia Bark???

jpjd59

I also read that quercetin is a COMT/MAO inhibitor. One doc said that it will also increase dopamine. It sounds like it may affect NE levels in the brain. I know Rama has been talking about peripheral responses vs. brain responses. Different hormones are used in the body in different ways. So, where one might be affected adversely by increasing in one area - it might not be the case for the entire body. NE increase is supposed to help with allergies and energy and metabolism.

We know there is an overactive sympatethic response in all of us with POTS - does NE cause this or is this a coping mechanism too?????? More NE to increase dopamine? More NE to carry oxygen and increase circulation to the brain? I can keep going . . . . Someone else can jump in here.

Issie

In the interest of not fractionating things or repeating them too much, I'm continuing my discussion in the Sam-E, Net function thread here. Quercetin and MAO inhibitors are more appropriate to that thread's main discussion and I wandered off topic (sorry, it is a perpetual habit of mine... :rolleyes: )

In the interest of steering this discussion back on topic, I have recently tried the Eucommia bark. I definitely have noticed positive effects from it, possibly more than any of the meds I'm currently taking. Seeing as how Beta blockers are used in migraine prophylaxis, I wonder if Eucommia would be more appropriate than the Tricyclic (Pamelor), as the Pamelor has been raising my heart rate and it has given me worse orthostatic intolerance (as is stated in the meds to avoid section). Ideally I'd like to try the Eucommia with some of the other herbs, as that will have a greater but more balanced effect.

When i took it it just made me feel ultra relaxed and unwound without making me feel weaker or dizzy. Which was nice. But I took it as part of a prescribed chinese mixture containing it and other herbs. I did try eucommia by itself and it partially accounted for this relaxed feeling. it also improved my exercise tolerance but how I have no idea. And as others have said - self experiementation is dangerous and all that.

As for COMT - that is some serious stuff! I would NOT be messing with anything that effected COMT regulation!!

Another COMT inhibitor that may increase blood flow to the brain is Vinpocetine. I tried it in combination with other things. I think the combination of things wasn't good for me ---long term ----short term I got a lot better. But, things sort of pooped out on me around day 11. I have yet to see if vinpocetine by itself might be of benefit. But, you don't want to lower your COMT levels too much - cause it could take a long time to get the function back. Like Rama said, you really need to be careful in messing with that. Some of us have over-active COMT systems - others are too low. So, I think a lot would depend on your function there.

Issie

Vinpocetine is a semi-synthetic based off of the alkaloid component vincamine of Vinca minor, or lesser periwinkle.

It appears that I am not the only one around with "two week miracles". Or what might be a month miracle at the moment for the tricyclic. I'm feeling a lot worse lately, so I'm looking for something else to try...

Back on the topic at hand, the Eucommia gave me feelings very similar to Rama.... It was almost unreal the first time I tried it, as it brought me a calm/peace I haven't felt in years. Keep in mind I've never had a Rx Beta Blocker. I honestly feel I've been in a hyperadrenergic state for a long time now. Stress pushed it over the top and I crashed. I'd like to try the Eucommia in a formula, especially if it means even stronger effects. I stopped using it for a few days to see the difference it made more clearly. I was a lot better with it.

Zap,

What was your dosage of Eucommia (DuZhong)? The soup recipes I found used anywhere from 15-70g (.5-2.5oz.) per recipe and the herbal formulas used anywhere from 5-15g per day.

Did you end up making an ethanol extraction?

Just curious. :P

I used about the same amount each time, enough to fill a small tea ball. I'm guessing it was probably in the 5-15g range. I'll measure the exact amount the next time I make tea. I haven't made an extract yet, but I'll definitely try it sometime soon. Definitely want to see the difference between the two.

Zap, I see you're using ginkgo - it gave me headaches. Maybe it's causing some of your miagraines????

Keep us posted on the eucomma effects when you go back on it.

Issie

I actually just started using the Ginkgo again - had done so a long time ago, but it has been a while. Way before the migraines started back up was the last time I had taken it. I wish that it would be that easy, but I was taking almost nothing for some time before the migraines started back up.