Heat And Tachycardia

Hi all,

I have noticed that when it is hot here in the uk and I sit in the sun I get very bad tachy.

Yesterday it started within 5 mins of me sitting in the sun. I could feel my heart pounding when I was laying down outside so I wore my HR monitor to keep check on it and also noticed that even when I was indoors after this, my heart rate was all over the place. Just making a cup of tea it was 149 and the highest was over 200. I also ended up with an awful headache too and very very dizzy.

Does the sun make pots worse?

Heat makes many, many people with POTS worse. The sun is fine for me if it is not hot. But HEAT with or without the sun is horrid. . The nerves that signal to the muscles to control the blood vessels do not work correctly. I am working hard to heal the nerves that are my main problem with POTS.

Mast cells are immune system cells that seem to be disordered in some POTS patients - see the article "Hyperadrenergic POTS in Mast Cell Activation Disorder" (Shibao et al, 2005).

There is also more information available about mast cell disorders on www.tmsforacure.org and a youtube video in three parts made by Dr. Castells and a couple of others - search on youtube under "Mast Cell Activation".