Severe Leg Pain At Night

This has happened on and off through the years, but there are nights (like last night) that are just unbearable. It was so hard to get to sleep. I start out fine.. within half an hour of laying in bed my legs, from the knees down start to hurt/ACHE like crazy. The bones in my feet, my ankles, my shins, calves all ache so bad and it accompanied by the burning feet. My lower back starts to hurt laying down too and I have some lumbar spine issues, but a recent NeuroSurgeon said this should not cause my feet/leg problem. Anyone else have this terrible leg pain? Is this something with POTS or likely something else? I know neuropathy can cause burning, but not sure about bone/muscle ache.

Thanks.

I have small fiber neuropathy as well as L1 radiculopathy. I saw a physiatrist about the leg aching, mine also presents as cold patches that move about and a dull buzzing feeling. I got an L1 epidural injection that helped somewhat but the physiatrist said since the generalized aching, cold patches and other pains don't follow the L1 nerve path, this pain must be related to my small fiber neuropathy. I do know that if I miss a neurontin dose that this pain is much worse. My pains get worse at night as well, which is also typical of small fiber neuropathy.

Janie- this is from my MRI report: mild degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with perhaps minimal anterolisthesis of L5 on S1 and probable pars interarticularis defects. Do you have any idea whether this could cause pain in both legs and/or the burning feet? I'm suspicious because the back pain comes at the same time as the other stuff. The neurosurgeon said no, look into SFN, but a physiatrist I saw said yes, it could be coming from the back. So they cancel eachother out. :huh:

I have similiar pain and have many of a night tossing and turning in discomfort. I don't know if the pain is due to my fibromyalgia or small fiber neuropathy with the leg issues; however, I have this pain day and night.

I usually take Tramadol for the pain in the legs, but recently I tried a topical prescription ointment called Voltaren Gel that I used for my bursitis in my shoulder. It worked great!! It "numbed" the area immediately and allowed me to fall asleep! When I'm in pain, this is the first thing I reach for.

I also just purchased a wrap heating pad that has been fantastic. I wanted one that wrapped around my legs and/or ankles that could be tightened with velcro. Plus, it was imperative that I have one that got hot fast, would reach higher temperatures and maintain those temperatures. I researched several brands and decided upon the Thermophore MaxHeat Muff. The first time I used it, my leg felt instantly better. Unfortunatley, it is not cheap-- $50.00. Plus, I'm going to have to buy a second one so I can have both legs treated with moist heat therapy at once. My birthday is in early June. Guess, what I'm asking for!!

Hi Naomi,

I get the same thing. It is mostly worse at night, but can start anytime of the day. I have bouts of severe cramping and get the same parasthesia feelings like thankful.(the buzzing, cold patches(like icyhot feelings) I also attribute it to my small fiber neuropathy. Last thursday it started to hit at a quick trip to the grocery store. By the time I got home I was crying and my husband and neighbor had to help out of the car and get me to bed. Took a trazadone the pain and cramps were so bad. Then the following day my feet hurt so bad and it felt like I had a load of sand in my shoes.

Jennifer