Lingering Sickness - Dr. Recommending Cough Syrup With Codeine & Mucinex - Safe With Pots?

iheartcats

I haven't used Codeine cough syrup or Mucinex for many years. So I've never taken them with POTS.

Have you guys ever taken these meds with POTS? I am so congested and coughing up and feeling awful I need to sleep at night and get over this horrible cold. It's the worst I've had in YEARS. And you know POTS makes them all the more fun. :blink:

We are always worried about meds and our POTS aren't we? I never taken either but if I was contemplating I would be more concerned about the codeine cough syrup since that seems more likely to effect the nervous system. I have taken Vicodin and didnt have any issues. It may be just one of those gotta try it and see but I know how scary that can be when you are already sick and the last thing you need is your POTS going haywire! Best of luck to you!

Get well soon,

KC

I may sound like a broken record to some but I still think Elderberry extract is the BEST stuff for keeping viruses away or stomping them out when you do get one. I have been using it for over a year and it works miracles for me!

I haven't used Codeine cough syrup or Mucinex for many years. So I've never taken them with POTS.

Have you guys ever taken these meds with POTS? I am so congested and coughing up and feeling awful I need to sleep at night and get over this horrible cold. It's the worst I've had in YEARS. And you know POTS makes them all the more fun. :blink:

I take Mucinex. In fact I just took one.;) But everyone's different so I can't say for sure how it'll effect you. But for me it's not problem.

I can take Mucinex without a problem, but can't take the Codeine with Klonopin.

Is the only reason you don't take Codeine the Klonpin? I did a 'drug interaction' and I'm not on anything that would badly interact. I got a couple of interactions, but nothing threatening. Hmmmm...I need to sleep and not cough so I may have to give it a go.

Is Vicodin 'similar' to codeine at all? How it acts?

TrainBoysMomRocks - I know. It's hard to decide. I need to sleep without coughing all night so what is worse for my POTS - no sleep or messing with my nervous system a bit? :blink: I guess I can give it a go, because if I at least get some rest that SHOULD help the POTS and healing. I hate having to take new medicines. It's a drag! But I did take Nyquil OK for a few nights (POTS didn't get worse). So that's reassuring.

My daughter has taken Mucinex with no problems. I would be a little worried about the codeine syrup but you could ask your pharmacist about drug interactions. Pharmacists know way more about drug interactions than doctors do.

It's not good for your body to cough all night without rest either so taking it short time may be o.k.

Hope you're feeling better soon. It's been a bad February for sickness. Liz was sick with bronchitis and tonsillitis. I was very worried especially when her dizziness came back and I was worry she wouldn't recover well. Thankfully, I was wrong and the dizziness subsided.

Brenda