Feel Like I'm Breathing Smoke.

Maxine

A number of things are going on, and I'm wondering if this can be causing further problems.

I can't handle the heat this summer, I'm having hot flashes/manopause symptoms, major issue with my cervical cranial instability, amd worn out completely from the trip to Maryland.

I feel like I'm breathing smoke-------smelling it, tasting a dirty ashtray-------------this is crazy. I'm trying to remember when this started. It seemed to happen during the trip to Baltimore. IT seemed worse after the fexation extension CT scan. When I got hom, my BP and pulse seemed OK, but sometimes my diastolic BPs have been higher then usual, and systolic are low normal to low. Pulse pressures have been pretty narrow. I can't understand this feeling of breathing smoke. My thoracic spine pain has been bad too.

I feel like you know what. i'm more panicky---jittery. My spine feels like it's buzzing a lot, and I have that vibrating sensation from my mid spine all the way up to the back of my head. My guts are slow also............

I'm afraid to go to any doc about any of this. It just causes more stress.

I called Dr. Grubb's office, and I never heard back after leaving a detailed message.

Maxine :0)

I know doctors stink a lot of the time and can cause more stress, ha, believe me I deal with it on a constant basis, as I'm sure many others do on this site... but, with this symptom, if it was me, I would push your doctor(s) to listen to this complaint. From what I've heard in regards to those weird olfactory sensations or "hallucinations"-though youre not hallucinating;-) it's just to mean the smell really isnt there... anyway, there can be a variety of causes, some more minor, like sinus infection or migraine, or sometimes something you'd want to have addressed. And I don't want this to scare you at all cause it really can be nothing much at all, but I think it's something worth investigating at least. Your signature lists different cranial/brain things going on.. so it's possible it could just be related to that, sometimes it's neurologically based.

Phantosmia is the term given to olfactory hallucinations, if that's even what you're having, it may not even be. But here's a link to a brief article on it from Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/AN01684

Maxine,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you feel better quickly. Take care of yourself.

Babette

Maxine~

My heart goes out to you having all of these troubles right now. Sometimes I feel that traveling is just not worth the price some of us pay when we get back and have to recup for days or weeks.

Believe it or not, someone here on the Forum has had the same trouble you're having with smelling smoke. She swears she can smell it coming through her walls. She lives in a townhome and shares a wall with her neighbor. It was driving her crazy, too. I'm not sure if she ever figured that out, but I'll check with her.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Cheers,

Jana

Hi Maxine,

I've also had what I believe are olfactory hallucinations. Very disturbing. My "bad smell" was sour milk. I've had numerous MRIs and no abnormalities. I have no idea what this is, but luckily I have not had this problem since January. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Hi Maxine,

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. I know the narrow pulse pressure makes me feel completely horrible. I also sometimes get the weird spine buzzing/vibration/tremor feeling from mid spine into my neck. It usually causes me to have horrible migraine headaches. I know they can cause phantom smells. I sometimes smell something similar to paint thinner. I also sometimes get the visual impression that there is smoke in the room. I've never been able to get any explanation or help.

If you find out anything please post it, as I have similar problems and would really like to find out what this is or what is causing it. Maybe you can find some answers.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

• 9 years later...

Hi, I'm a man soon turning 57 year old,  Diagnosed with POTS. & SVT. at age 50, I live in a rural area in the Appellation mountains of S.W. Va. where the air is good & no one in my house smokes, but when I lay down my nose stops up & I feel like I'm trying to breath in a room full of cigarette smoke.  If you have ever been in a bar room,  filled with smoke, then you know what I mean.  I think sometimes I must be crazy! Lol!  Anyone have an idea as to what is causing this? TIA.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This phantom smells such as smelling smoke when there is none is also being reported in a high percentage of the so called long Covid patients. A significant percent of them are also experiencing dysautonomia type symptoms. IDK if it's in the dysautonomia long covid patients but probably. It could be a symptom of autonomic dysfunction. These patients could fuel more research into autonomic disorders.