Broken Blood Vessels On Chest And Legs

A few weeks ago I developed a few broken blood vessel/ spider vein looking things on my chest. I had a cough at the time, so I thought I had just popped some blood vessels, no big deal.

Over the past few weeks and particularly in the past few days, I have developed more of these on my chest and especially on my legs.

I am a student in college and I went to the health center here, and they ran some bloodwork. Liver function and CBC were normal, but my sed rate was elevated at 65. I called my PCP and she told me to get into the rheumatologist (that appt. is in a little over a week).

I have a lot of autonomic issues and am also currently being evaluated for mitochondrial disease (waiting 8 weeks for blood work, ugh).

...Anyway, has anyone had anything like this? Any idea what on earth this is? It is definitely accompanied by pain, particularly in my legs, and I told the doctor at the health center I was worried about some type of vasculitis or something, but she said she didn't think it presented like this?

I am confuuuused.

Hi Applescruffs-

I am older than you- almost 48 y/o and I have spider veins on my trunk- beneath my bra line above my belly and on my legs. I have also recently gotten some broken blood vessels under my eyes- those go away with time.

Mine are not accompanied by pain. I'm guessing that the lack of adequate venous return over time causes these. Blood trying to return to the heart doesn't quite make it & pools in other places? BTW, I am working with a dermo, who is zapping my leg veins with a laser. I have treatment #2 in about a week- seems to help esthetically.

The fact that you are so young, symptomatic, and have an elevated sed rate all possibly point to something more acute. I am glad that you're seeing a rheumy. Please let us know what you find out.

Hugs-

Julie

My daughter has blood pooling on the right side of her face. I have been told that the nerves on that side of her face don't work correctly, they don't circulate the blood so it begins to pool. She is now 18 and has had laser surgery twice to remove the pooling. It appears that about every 3 years or so she will have to have this done. A dermatologist called it Port Wine Stain, even though what I've read about that is it is a birth mark, she wasn't born with it.

I do not know the answer to your question about broken blood vessels on the neck/chest, but I do know, that when my gastroenterologist saw my prominent veins (like blue spiders) on my chest, he sent me for a chest x-ray to make sure there was not some unknown tumor causing all the veins. I was fine. I hope nothing is wrong with you either.

I think it's possible that your broken vessels are due to something other than dysautonomia. I did some research on them, and found that broken blood vessels are usually not broken at all, but rather 'dilated'. They're usually caused by genetics, heat, spicy foods (honest!), strenuous exercise, alcohol, anxiety, and sun exposure. I also have them on my chest and lower legs. Perhaps I should think about getting them zapped, too. :blink:

Hi there-

I love your Charlie Brown quote - so cute.

Have you been tested for anti-phosolipid syndrome? The pain is not good. I can't tell, though, how bad your pain is or how you usually are with pain - only you can determine that. Call the rheumy if you have concerns and maybe have the lab work done before you see her/him.

Wishing you the best - let us know how you are doing.

Noreen

a friend used my ijoy legg/foot massager and it broke her blood vessels. she is very pale skinned and she was fine a week later. she refused to turn it off when she was suppose to.

bellamia~