Cortisone Shots And Pots

ramakentesh

Yeah, I've got experience. I'm in a special boat because my kidney function is down to half, so I cannot take anti-inflammatories. If you can take them before and after, it won't be so bad (my husband gets these shots all the time for a bad shoulder.) The actual injection is the worst (unless you are me) because it is putting more stuff into an already inflamed space. If you can get them to let you lie down while they inject you and stay that way for a while it would be best. I ended up in the floor of the lobby with a bucket because they didn't. I don't think that the cortisone has effected my POTS, but the pain sure has. Ice it the first day and move it the second. Good luck, mine hurts worse now than before I had it! But remember....I'm special. :)

I will probably have one today - shoulder problem. They have never bothered me - IF I have a very experienced doctor doing it. I had one who was not so good and I, too, ended up on the floor of the waiting room.

The guy I am going to today has injected me several times and he's really good so I have no hesitation.

as part of my adrenal function test, many years ago while POTS was very highly symptomatic, I received a shot of ACTH which raised my cortisol levels very high. it was actually great for my POTS! I had been fainting every day previous to the shot, and I did not faint for about 2 months afterward (I suppose because of fluid retention and higher blood volume and bp?).

• 2 weeks later...

Sue1234--the low one was taken in Oct, 2002 and it was 7.2 (normal range 8.7-22.4). the ATCH response test was done in Nov, 2002 and it was baseline 10.8, rose to 21.2, rose to 25.3. Normal baseline and second number is <10, and range for third number is 8.7-22.4. So I guess I had a very fast adrenal reaction and a bit high. I was not pregnant during the initial, low cortisol test. I was like 5 weeks pregnant, unknown to me at that time, during the ACTH adrenal function test that got the high numbers (and cortisol is usually high during pregnancy). I never repeated outside of pregnancy because an endocrinologist reviewed my case and pronounced me normal.

In fact, the only tests that were ever dramatically abnormal for me were liver function tests associated with a pulmonary embolism, that and the progressive mono positive. And of course the TTT that showed 75% blood flow deficit to my brain when standing.