How Do You Feel After Having Blood Drawn?

I am just a little curious to see if anyone has issues after having their blood drawn. A few weeks ago I had to have a bunch of tests run, so they took a lot of blood. Of course I felt like crap afterwards, which didn't surprise me. They had taken a ton of blood. Well, today at work we had a health screening for our insurance company, they only took 2 vials, and I feel awful My heart has raced all day, I have a horrible headache, I'm clammy, my hands are freezing, and I feel sick to my stomach. Does anyone else have this after having their blood drawn? I was just wondering if I need to call my EP. I am drinking some gatorade and laying down, but I still feel pretty crappy. Thanks again!!

Hi Fallon,

I sometimes get inappropriately woozy and "wierd" feeling after having blood taken. I think that it is just an exaggerated response to a small loss of blood volume and a hyperadrenergic reaction to the blood draw itself.

~ Broken_Shell :D

Hi,

For me it depends if I was fasting/dehydrated etc. if I was I will feel a lot worse. Sometimes it is not all that big of a deal. I do think somewhere from a dr or something I did hear about you can get a negative autonomic response from a blood draw, due to it is invoking a stressor on your system. I think most importantly is to prepare for the test by making sure you have ate and are hydrated. Then, try to not worry or stress about it because it will only make it worse. I wonder if because it was performed at work you were more apprehensive about the blood draw and what it may do? It may not have even been a conscious thing. But, who wants to have a bad reaction at work? I would feel better having a bad reaction at a drs office, so they can see my response, and I probably don't really know anyone there! :D

Also, even though it was less blood remember that our symptoms/reactions change on a daily basis due to a multitude of factors (hormones, hydration, glucose level, weather, etc....) So, it may have just not been the best day to have any blood drawn...

:)

Thanks for the advice! I still don't feel very well today! I called and talked with the nurse at my EP office, but I haven't heard back since she talked to my doctor. What you said makes a lot of sense. I guess I was just surprised at how bad I felt for what little blood they took. We did have to fast so I hadn't had anything to eat since 9 o'clock the night before, and only had a drop of water yesterday morning so I could take my meds. I still feel very tired and kind of out of it, but the tachycardia hasn't been as bad today. Thanks again. It's nice to know I'm not alone, and more importantly not crazy :)