Anyone Been Found To Have Anisocoria?

ajw4790

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed (or found to have on examination) anisocoria (diameter of pupils not equal)?

If it is an ongoing symptom and not something that happens once an a while (ie. normal), if can be a sign of many things, including neuropathy. I am now realizing that I had this at the last drs. visit and probably have it most if not all of the time. It probably explains some of my weird eye issues...

So, was just curious if other people have had their drs notice this and order further tests on it? I think I am scheduled for one test in regards to this, but don't know a ton about this to what it all may mean or how treatment etc. may differ because of it? Any experience?

Thanks!!!

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed (or found to have on examination) anisocoria (diameter of pupils not equal)?

If it is an ongoing symptom and not something that happens once an a while (ie. normal), if can be a sign of many things, including neuropathy. I am now realizing that I had this at the last drs. visit and probably have it most if not all of the time. It probably explains some of my weird eye issues...

So, was just curious if other people have had their drs notice this and order further tests on it? I think I am scheduled for one test in regards to this, but don't know a ton about this to what it all may mean or how treatment etc. may differ because of it? Any experience?

Thanks!!!

Hi there,

Yes, I have this. Sometimes it is very obvious to others and sometimes it goes away. My doctor has seen it. I think it is an autonomic issue. Hope everything works out for you!

Ann

differences in pupils can have a variety of causes.

Emedicine has a decent explanation here:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1158571-overview

Also, not intending to say you have this, but a friend of mine had unequal pupils as a result of hydrocephalus that was caused by a chiari malformation. Here's a chiari info page from NIH

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/chiari.htm (quick overview)

and more detailed info here

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/detail_chiari.htm

Oh, BTW, my pupils are often HUGE. Also, they're so over reactive to the drops at the eye doctor that he's always stunned at how much he can see... and when there's a med student, they get pulled in too. I have great eye health, overall, and have been told I have extra arteries providing blood supply, which will help me as I age. Hey, I'll take all the GOOD medical news they want to give me, yes?!