Stinging Pain In Leg Woke Me Up

Michelle F.

I woke up tonight with my right leg hurting/stinging just above my knee on the outside of my leg. I got up and elevated my leg, so that I could "look it up" and I think it is getting better. I've never been awakened with this kind of leg pain before. It seems vascular. I do have chondromalacia patellae (cartilage problems causing bone on bone bruising ) and varicose veins. I can see a varicose vein where I am hurting. I have NCS and have begun to wonder if the blood return from my legs might be the "cause" of my dysautonomia. There's just something in me that wants to know what the cause is. I guess I think if I know what is causing my illnesses, I might be able to get it fixed.

Can varicose veins (vv) play a role in the blood pooling issues that we have with NCS? Is there an increased risk for blood clots with varicose veins? If I were to have a connective tissue disorder, might vv be a symptom?

I'm sleepy, but hope I make sense.

Thanks,

Michelle F.

I have extremely bad vv (and they keep getting worse). I've talked to my dr about "taking care of them" for the last 4-5 years. She always tells me to wait until I'm done having kids or chances are, the vv will come back during pregnancy. So I just let them be. I got my POTS dx in Feb. and have talked to 2 different drs since. (I've since desided I'm done having more kids - so am ready to get rid of them.) Anyway... Both have told me that they don't usually contribute to pooling (dys symptoms) - but I don't think it can help - seeing how much they pop out every time I'm on my feet. They do cause pain, but for me, it's after I'm on my feet for a while - not usually when I've been off my feet for a while. It's more of a full leg pain, not just in one spot. I have learned also (because I have a blood clotting disorder) that vv can cause clotting so I need to keep an eye on them. If there is pain - I would have it checked! Also, look for a lump where the pain is. That is another sign of a clot (but doesn't always present itself). Basically, if pain continues, I would go have it checked. Bad thing is, clots can travel, so the pain may go away anyway.

That's my 2 cents... hope it helps.

Hollie

Hollie- Thank you for your response and information. What kind of doctor treats vv's? My pain or sting has moved up my leg from knee to middle thigh on the outside of my right leg. I have also had discomfort below my knee today, also. I "think" it is vascular, but it is possible that it is referred pain from my knee joint which is more hypermobile than usual. There is a vv where it hurts, but it looks deeper than most of my vv's. I have not noticed a lump, but will check. This would happen the day after I went to my pcp for a pretty uneventful regular check up. Oh well! I do see my new cardiologist for a re-check in one week, so if this doesn't progress, I'll let her know about it.

Thanks again.

Michelle F.